Memorial Details

NEWMP Memorial Image
Photo: James Pasby

Memorial

Jubilee Meadows - Centenary 1914-2014

Reference

W120.10

Place

WILLINGTON (Wear Valley)

Map ref

NZ 204348

Original Location

Yes, but formerly known as "Willington Dene".

Which war

1914-18

Dedication, Creation or Publication date

1. Opened by Princess Anne November 2005

Memorial Description

Jubilee Meadows, "which consists of about 10 acres of naturally wooded land which surrounds a delightful stream".
The path meanders down from the war memorial area through "a wild life area". There are one or two seats matching those in the area around the memorial.
Behind the memorial is a sculpture in half-moon shape with blocks at each end. At the top of the shaped is a leaf of ?stainless steel, below which is the word "Peace". On the sides of the blocks is the word "Peace in four different languages: "Mir" (Russian); "Shalom" (Jewish); "Paix" (French); "Friede" (German).

Materials used

Parkland

Names

None

Cost

543,000 in 2014

How money was raised

Originally donated by Lord Boyne

Present condition

Improved for the centenary

Notes

Originally called Willington Dene, "which consists of about 10 acres of naturally wooded land which surrounds a delightful stream"



"Improving the Dene.

Willington Dene, which was given to the town by Lord Boyne at the conclusion of the war as a war memorial is at present undergoing extensive improvements. The dene, which consists of about 10 acres of naturally wooded land which surrounds a delightful stream, is an ideal place for a Sunday afternoon, and has in the past been a popular rendezvous. Its popularity will be greater when the present work is completed, for new paths are being laid and bridges placed across the stream at various places, and programmes of music by local bands have been arranged for Sundays in the season. The work is under the supervision of the surveyor to the Willington Urban District Council, Mr. J.H. Gardner."



Groundwork North East:
" Jubilee Meadows involved working with the local community partnership, local residents and school children and artists to regenerate neglected meadows situated on the floodplain of the river Wear suffering from seasonal flooding and unauthorised vehicle access and a disused cenotaph suffering from anti-social behaviour, both linked together by a steep and overgrown scarp slope. The cenotaph, situated adjacent the main road through Willington now acts as the formal gateway to the meadows parkland and the design passes from the formal yew hedges of the cenotaph to the natural and informal meadow via the wheelchair friendly path of the scarp."

Newspaper cuttings, photos or archival material

Photos: James Pasby

Auckland and County Chronicle 16/04/1925

External web link

Research acknowledgements

Dorothy Hall; James Pasby

Research In Progress

If you are researching this memorial please contact 2014@newmp.org.uk

Jubilee Meadows - Centenary 1914-2014 (W120.10)

 
You are looking at all the information and the best images we have so far on this memorial. If you can supply more information or better images please get in touch by sending an email to enquiries@newmp.org.uk.

Parish Notes

Every Name A Story